I'm not used to traveling at the holidays. The first year I was married, we went to visit my parents for Christmas. It was a 3.5 hour drive. Not too bad. The second year (last year), we went to visit Ben's parents. It was a six hour drive. Longer, but still bearable. And only Ben and I. This year is different. We're going to visit my parents again. This time it's a 9.5 hour drive to them. However, we're going to visit friends in Maine (where we moved from) first. It's about a 14(ish) hour drive to Portland. We're taking it in two days. Oh yeah, and we have a little one now, too. We're leaving on the 19th. With Thanksgiving being later this year than usual, and us leaving sooner than usual due to longer drives and multiple locales, my Christmas season is being cut short at home.
We bought a fake tree. I just didn't want to deal with going out to find a real one, to have up for two weeks and have to take down before we left (for safety's sake). Plus I didn't want to deal with keeping Julie out in the cold while we hunted for the perfect tree. So we bought a fake one. And a tree-scented candle.
The tree actually looks really good. I was nervous, because fake trees often look really fake. This one fills out really well. It took us a week to get the tree set up, fluffed out, and strung with lights. Then it took two days for me to get ornaments on it. Less than half of what we normally put on the tree. I just didn't feel like pulling out all the layers of ornament separators from the bucket this year.
So my tree looks a little barren. And I just don't have the energy to do any other Christmas decorations this year. And we don't have lights on the house, either. I'm not sure we ever will. Ben has a fear of heights that mostly manifests itself on ladders.
So today I wish I have the energy and/or desire to "do" Christmas more. I know that the decorations and stuff aren't what it's really about, but they help me feel the Spirit of Christmas.
Mom, I hope you're decorating your house for Christmas, because I'd really like to see it.
What do YOU wish for today?
8 comments:
Yeah, so I didn't do any decorating before I left, and probably won't do much when I get home cause it will be Christmas Eve. I'll probably just get out the stockings and Nativity set. Keepin it simple.
PS THANK YOU, Ben, for taking Bryan to the airport tomorrow! We sure appreciate you!
We decided the same thing this year not to have a real tree even though we have had one every year. I wish that I could be more festive in how the house/apartment looks.
I think we're going to buy a fake tree after Christmas. There's no point in buying one now since we're leaving on Monday. Hmm. I already got what I wish for today: Emma is asleep and Megan and Jeremy are playing at the Croshaws! I have time to myself to pack and relax! Yay!
Peter and I bought a fake tree last year for Christmas and just got it up two days ago. I like real trees, but were in a small apartment on the 3rd floor, it just didn't seem feesable. So I wish I was finished with school so I could enjoy the holiday season instead of being stressed over finals.
Thanks for the card input. We've done the fake tree thing and you can usually find a decent one on sale for a steal the day after Thanksgiving or Christmas. (believe me..if it's a deal, the Robertsons know about it!)
As for the layout..yes it was free, but only because I found the patterned papers for free online and put them together. I think your layout is way cute, too, though.
I wish my mom and dad will be in Colorado for Christmas. It doesn't seem likely.
I wish my brother enjoys his mission christmas as much as I enjoyed mine!
Hey- we need a new post from you, girl! I loved your comment about our fallen wise man. Every time I think about it I start laughing. "All ye in Sleepy Hollow beware" Ha ha ha!
Post a Comment