When Ben and I got married, I was on birth control (the Pill). I gained a lot of weight on the Pill in a relatively short time, and had a few other negative side effects. After eight or nine months on it, I stopped taking it, partly because I wanted to, and partly on doctor's advice. The very next day, Ben and I went to the bookstore and bought two books on "natural" birth control. One was not super great, the other was this. I successfully used the method laid out in this book to not get pregnant for a year. Once we settled in Cleveland and decided it was time to start "trying" we successfully achieved pregnancy the first month that we tried. That was due in part to the Fertility Awareness Method.
Many people think that this is the same as the "rhythm method." It is not. Others have also heard of temperature taking. That is not enough. This book teaches you first about your body and how it works and the signs it gives you. Then it teaches you how to read and interpret those signs, including basal body temperature.
Regardless of whether or not you use the Pill, plan to have children, don't plan to, or anything else, if you are a woman, you should read this book. It will give you a far greater understanding of the inner working of your body than your 5th grade reproduction class or 9th grade biology ever gave you.

You can purchase it on Amazon by clicking here.
UPDATE: If you have irregular cycles, but think you might otherwise be interested in this, please read the comments.
4 comments:
That is really fascinating. I too hated the pill, but I am so irregular with periods that I never thought I could do natural family planning. So for now, an IUD works for me. But I would love to read this for the future!
A note to any other readers who also have irregular periods: you think (or may have been told) that natural family planning won't work for you because your cycles aren't predictable. If you were using the rhythm method, that would be true (the rhythm method tracks the length of your cycles for a year, then "guesses" when you ovulate based on that length). The Fertility Awareness Method (FAM) predicts ovulation based on your current cycle, so it doesn't matter if your cycles are few and far between or regular like a Swiss clock. In fact, if you are irregular, and you don't like synthetic options, this is a really great alternative.
Not a comment on the BOOK... but, instead, a link to a website having a ONE DOLLAR book sale...
http://www.bookcloseouts.com/default.asp?promo=1+Dollar+Book+Sale&N=3290&Ne=3&org=cat
annie M (Aunt Lori)
You are the 2nd person to recommend this book to me. Sounds like it is time for me to add it to my "to read" list.
Post a Comment