Saturday, October 31, 2009

Autumn decor

I wanted to share this quick and easy decorating idea. It could really be easily adapted to any holiday or season you want. It went together in under an hour, and cost less than five dollars.

Materials:
Papier-mâché barn star
Acrylic paint
Two different but coordinating sheets of scrapbook paper
Mod Podge
2 foam brushes
Extra sheet of plain scrap paper, for measuring and tracing

1) Take your sheet of scrap paper, and trace the outline of one of the 10 faces of the star. Cut it about a quarter inch in from all three edges. Place it back on the face, to make sure it looks right.

2) Trace the stencil on one sheet of scrapbook paper five times, and cut the pieces out. Then flip it over and trace five times on the other sheet of scrapbook paper. Cut them out. If you arrange all 10 pieces, it should resemble your barn star now.

3) Paint your star whatever color you want, coordinating with the papers you'll use. Give it two coats, or however many it needs until you're satisfied, or don't paint it at all if you like the plain cardboard brown color. Don't worry about painting the inside at all.

4) Once the pain is dry, apply a coat of Mod Podge to one face of the star, and the to back of one triangle piece of scrapbook paper and position the paper on the star face. Alternating faces, repeat until you've applied all the pieces of that pattern. Once they've dried, repeat with the other paper on the still-empty faces of the star.

5) Once the entire star is dry, brush a layer of Mod Podge over the entire star, and allow to dry.

To hang it, you can put it on a wall in your house, or hang it from a wreath hanger on your door. I didn't have a wreath hanger, but I wanted to hang it on my front door, so I improvised. I bought on of those removeable foam tape hanger hook things. I fixed it upside down near the top of the inside of my front door, and then hung the star from a ribbon from the hook.

Viola!

(Sorry for the bad quality photos.)

4 comments:

Scott and Jillian said...

Okay, seriously...you keep whipping out the cutest crafts!

Kellie said...

Wanna get together and do one for Christmas? I need a quick craft I can actually finish!!

Rachel said...

What a cute idea! I'll have to try this.

JerieH said...

Oh Freak! That is so cute! Now I have to drive to Tuscon tomorrow so I can make one!