Monday, November 1, 2010

5 Minutes: Childhood in the Fall

Okay, I'm behind schedule from waiting for scrapbooks to come out of the attic, so now I have some catching up to do. The next writing prompt from Your Life in 5 Minutes is this:

What is a recurring childhood memory you associate with autumn? Back to school? Raking leaves? Harvesting or canning? Hayrides? Fall sports? (Not Halloween–we’ll get to that next week!)

I can't think of any one specific thing, really. I mean, nothing that seems particularly unique. But I guess the point of this exercise isn't to be different from everyone else, but rather to chronicle my own life, boring or exciting as it may be.

We went to pumpkin patches, and we had leaves. I grew up in Southern California, so we didn't have super chilly blustery Autumns. Today is November 1st, and I've been musing over the last 24 hours or so about how Halloween comes at a horrible time of year. What's the point of dressing up in a cool/fun/spooky/cute costume, if it ends up hiding under three extra layers of warmth anyway?

Fall, of course, means back to school. We always did the typical back-to-school photos, and got new lunchboxes, etc. Looking through my scrapbooks over the past few days, I've had the displeasure of reviewing all my first-day-of-school photos growing up.

This is a very unexciting post. I guess if I come up with more later, I'll add to it.

No comments: