Saturday, December 4, 2010

Halloween

I'm listening to Christmas music as I write this post...hmmm.

We weren't really going to do Halloween this year. It was on a Sunday, and Julie's only two years old and doesn't have a clue about it, not to mention that neither I nor my daughter needs Halloween volumes of candy. I didn't want to buy a costume or a candy bucket, and it's not a huge deal to either Ben or I, so we were just going to lay low.

A week or so before Halloween, a friend offered a loan of a really cute ladybug costume for Julie. I took it, not sure yet if I'd actually use it or not. The next day, I went to Target and was looking through the $1 section (which I love!) and came across some really cute printed take-out boxes, including one with a ladybug pattern. It was a smallish size, and I decided that I could deal with that small amount of candy.

Halloween was back on!

I borrowed two long-sleeved black t-shirts from a neighbor, and layered both of them underneath the costume. If we'd had black leggings, I'd have used them, but the brown were good enough.

Daddy helped Julie get into her costume. He's trying to make her smile...

...because this is what she's doing.

We finally got her into it, and out on the porch. She's pretty confused -- no idea what's going on. We didn't really talk about the whole process with her in advance. We gave her a starter piece of candy for her little bucket. Of course she didn't "get" the concept -- she just wanted to eat it.



And got very upset when she wasn't allowed to. Finally, we just took the starter piece away when she wasn't paying attention, and she was fine after that.

This is our neighbor, Sienna. She's about a month older than Julie. They're buddies.





I had to get this shot from behind (Julie's looking at the cat through the door), because you can't see her little antennae from the front of the costume.

Now Julie wants to know why Sienna gets a sucker, but she doesn't. She's clearly moving in for the kill here.



Sucker in one hand, bucket in the other, she's a happy girl again.

We went to a few neighbors we know, plus one house that was well-lit and had lots of fun decorations. Julie got 12 whole pieces of candy.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

I wish we used little take out boxes. Nathan used a pillowcase as a kid, so that's what our kids use. It's too much!