
I had to share the recipe with you, because it's too easy and too good to keep to myself.
Hearty Turkey Sandwich
1 round loaf bread (1 lb.)
1/4 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
9 oz. shaved oven-roasted turkey breast
3/4 cup spinach leaves
1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced, separated into rings, and cooked until golden brown
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses, combined
Preheat oven to 400. Cut a 1/2-inch-thick slice from top of bread loaf; remove center of loaf, leaving 1-inch-thick shell. Reserve removed bread for another use.Spread inside of bread shell and cut-side of top of loaf with dressing and mustard. Fill bread shell with layers of turkey, spinach, onions, and cheese; cover with top of bread loaf. Wrap in aluminum foil. Bake 30 minutes of until cheese is melted and sandwich is heated through. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into 4 wedges with serrated knife. Serve warm.
That's it! That's all there is to it! It's pictured above with pumpernickel bread, but I used a loaf of Italian bread. Also, I don't like mustard, so instead I used 2 tbsp of Italian dressing, mixed it with the mayonnaise, and then spread the mixture on the insides of the bread. I am normally not a turkey person. I prefer ham on my sandwiches. But when I saw the picture and read the recipe, I knew I would love it, and I did. I actually didn't use the full 9 oz of turkey, because it didn't seem like it would all fit inside the loaf. However, when you put the cooked onions in on top of the spinach (and I sautéed my onions in a little bit of butter), they weigh it down enough that you can fit everything in. Overall, the onions were definitely my favorite part.
5 comments:
That looks so yummy. I'll have to try it sometime soon. BTW, did you post a recipe in the past that had hominy in it? I love hominy and haven't found many recipes with it. What was that recipe?
Sara, I posted about a recipe I'd made with hominy. It's not available online as this one was, so I didn't post it because of copyrighting. I'll email it to you, though.
Yumm. This sandwich looks delicious. I love meals that are easy and are basically a meal in and of themselves. Great find!
Wow, this looks great. Thanks for sharing! Any tips on what to do with the middle of the bread?
Well, I usually end up leaving the innards of the bread out on the counter overnight, forgetting about them, so they're all dried out in the morning, unfortunately. My plan is to make croûtons, though.
Post a Comment