Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A fortunate meeting

When I was 14, I attended a program at BYU called Academy for Girls. I believe that program has been discontinued by now. I know it was significantly modified at least after I stopped attending. It was an EFY-type program put on through the Church Educational System, and was only for young women. It was 11 days long, and we stayed in the dorms. We had a couple of days of field trips, which is different from EFY. On one of those days, we traveled up to Salt Lake City to see Legacy in the big theater (yeah...when they were still showing Legacy -- I think they're two movies past that one now) up there. In the afternoon, we went to Lagoon, but we had a couple of hours of down time in between, during which most of the groups just stayed at Temple Square and walked around the Visitor's Center(s).

My counselor suggested that we go over to the Administration Building to try to meet President Hinckley. "Yeah, right," we all thought. (1) Who knew if he was even in town? (2) Would they let us take his time if he was? (3) Would he take the time?

Nonetheless, we were excited to give it a try. It's not often that you get to meet the prophet. He became prophet and President of the Church in March of that year, and this was August. This is the result of our efforts:


We did get to meet him. We went to the lobby of the Church Administration Building, and our counselor told the receptionist who we were and that we would like to meet President Hinckley, if we could. She informed us that we could only meet him by appointment, but that he had an appointment in about 5 minutes with a man who was sitting in the lobby, and if we waited, we might get to at least see him through the heavy glass doors with bars on them. So we eagerly waited to catch a glimpse of him, which we did. We saw him, and like the 14 and 15 year old girls we were, we got all giddy and started waving at him through the glass. He smiled at us, then came out to shake hands with us. It was really neat. Definitely a unique experience.

Can you tell which girl is me?

4 comments:

Summer said...

Wow! What a cool story! I bet you'll remember that forever!

S. Schuller said...

That's a great story. I went to Academy for Girls too, when I was 12. It was neat, but we didn't get to meet the Prophet! Very cool.

Rachel said...

That is such a cool story. What an amazing man that he would stop and take the time to meet all of you. I love him! I went to Academy for Girls too! I loved it. Too bad they did away with it.

Yonker Family said...

It must have felt amazing to be in such close contact with such a wonderful man. This will be a great story to tell little Julie.