Tuesday, September 22, 2009

My kingdom for a refrigerator!

Almost two weeks ago, my refrigerator had a stroke, from which it never recovered. It just stopped working one day. In light of our already broken camera, we were quite upset, thinking about the financial issue at hand. We looked up the model number of the fridge online and found out that it's already 10 years old, with an estimated life expectancy of only 10-12 years. Ugh.

We needed a new one.

Here's the really great part: Ben was gone camping with the Boy Scouts that weekend. I was pretty stressed out.

I borrowed a couple of ice chests, and eventually managed to find someone at church who had a mini-fridge that they were willing to lend us. Thank goodness!! I really didn't want to live out of ice chests for a week.

We managed to find a used refrigerator on Craigslist that was the same size as our broken one, and was only $175. It's a side-by-side, which I've never had, and I think are really space ineffecient, so I wasn't excited about that, but hey -- it was $175! Luckily it was still available, so with the help of a friend in the ward, Ben managed to pick it up and get it set up in the kitchen (after having to remove its doors, as well as the doors on the old fridge), and I am now working out of a "real" fridge again. For a week, I didn't really cook anything, because I had limited ingredients and didn't have space for leftovers.

Yesterday I went to the grocery store and got my frozen food back from yet a third friend (thanks, Kat!) (some of the food wasn't completely thawed yet by the time we discovered the stroke, so it could be saved), and stocked my fridge and freezer. The fridge actually has plenty of space in it, but the freezer is another story. It'll be a little bit of a learning process, but I'll figure out how to make the most of it in time. It's just a relief to be mostly back to normal in that area again.

3 comments:

Kellie said...

I'm glad you were able to get one so quickly and that you didn't lose all your food.

Rachel Holloway said...

It's rough to lose stuff! We have several times, and it stinks!

Glad you got a new fridge! Bet that was a shocker to Ben!

ten_33 said...

And you just thought that Ben went camping... sounds like you were roughing it, too!