Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Taste of Tuesday: Cornbread

I'll be honest. My cornbread is better than yours. And I'm okay with that. Because I'm going to share my recipe with you. Get ready, though, because it's really complicated.

1 box (18.25 oz) yellow cake mix
2 boxes (8.5 oz) corn muffin mix

Mix each according to directions, combine, bake.

That's it! Seriously.

Unfortunately, you don't really ever want to make that much unless you're cooking for a crowd, because it'll probably make two 9x13-inch pans.

I have all my dry goods in clear acrylic canisters, and after I discovered this recipe, I had to get a new one to keep dry mix in. Whenever I need more, I just open up the dry mixes, dump them into a big bowl, and mix them with a fork, then pour the dry mix into my canister. Starting with that, here are the portions you need to know for making a single meal amount of cornbread.

1 3/4 cup dry mix
1 egg
8 tsp milk (2 Tbsp + 2 tsp)
4 tsp oil (1 Tbsp + 1 tsp)
1/3 cup water

Bake in a greased 8x8-inch pan at 350 for about 15-20 minutes. My oven runs cool, so it usually ends up being about 25 minutes for me.

I grew up eating Marie Callenders cornbread. We went there a lot for dinner when I was a kid, and I'd always order either the chili and cornbread, or the potato cheese soup and cornbread. As an adult, increasingly dissatisfied with dry flavorless cornbread, I did a search online one day for a MC copycat recipe for cornbread. This was what I found. I haven't looked back since.

2 comments:

Scott and Jillian said...

I never would have thought to mix in yellow cake mix! Wow!

Kellie said...

I'm excited to try it!!