Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Taste of Tuesday: Hummus

I decided that I want to share weekly recipes on here. It may be something I've made for my weekly cooking challenge blog, or it may just be something else I've made and want to share. Recipes will be posted on Tuesday, with a picture whenever possible (since I have a camera again!).

Today, because I'm just wanting to get this going, but haven't really made anything in awhile (due to being out of town), I'll share an old standby. Hummus is a great alternative to ranch dressing for dipping veggies into. It's also great with pita chips or bagel chips. And it's really easy to make at home. Here's the recipe I use, from the Whole Foods website (source).

Simply Delicious Homemade Hummus

Serves 6

This homemade hummus makes an absolutely delicious dip, perfect for entertaining or a snack. Pair with lightly toasted pita bread, crisp veggies, feta cheese, stuffed grape leaves and a selection of olives. Cannellini or Great Northern beans can be substituted for the garbanzo beans.
Ingredients

2 garlic cloves
1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons lemon juice
Salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
Cayenne pepper to taste
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley

Ingredient Options: Add minced chipotle peppers (canned), sliced pimentos and cilantro. Add toasted pine nuts. Instead of garbanzo beans, use cannellini beans and season with thyme.
Method

Put garlic in a food processor and pulse to roughly chop. Add garbanzos, tahini, water, lemon juice, salt, cumin, coriander and a pinch of cayenne (you may add more later to increase the heat), and process until creamy and smooth. Transfer to a bowl, cover and chill for at least 1 hour.

Before serving, let hummus come to room temperature. Mix in the parsley and serve.

3 comments:

Hannah White said...

You should warn that Hummus is an acquired taste. It is one I never acquired!

Summer said...

MMmmmmmm! I love me some hummus!!!

Marilyn said...

I have been looking for a good hummus recipe. I am excited to try it, thanks!