Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Taste of Tuesday: Tortellini Chowder

I had some red potatoes that really needing using, so I broke the eyes off and diced them up.


I threw them in a pan with some gorgeous bell peppers.


I sautéed them in bacon grease until the potatoes got a little soft.


I added some water and a can of evaporated milk and waited for it to come to a boil. Then I threw in the tortellini and cooked the whole pot for a few minutes longer. Once the pasta was ready, I poured in a few tablespoons of potato flakes just to thicken things up a little.

Then I ate it. I was too busy eating to get a good picture, so this will have to suffice.



Tortellini Chowder

2 slices bacon (or more, if you're a fan)
1 lb small red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3/4 cup green bell pepper
1/3 cup each red, yellow, and orange bell peppers
12 ounces evaporated milk (1 can)
9 ounces tortellini
1 scallion, sliced
2-3 tbsp potato flakes, optional (I just poured until I thought there was enough -- eyeball it. And if you like the soup runnier, leave this out.)

In pot over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp (6-8 mins). Drain on paper towels.

To drippings in pan, add potatoes and stir-fry. Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes start to soften (5 mins).

Stir in 1 1/2 c water, evaporated milk, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Bring to boil.

Add tortellini, cook until tender (8-10 mins).

Remove from heat, stir in scallion.

Serve sprinkled with crumbled bacon.

5 comments:

Scott and Jillian said...

That sounds SO good and SO easy! My kids love tortellini, aka "little ears'.

Oh, and I love that when I came onto your page I got to hear "Stray Cat Strut". I think that song is under appreciated. I love it!

Jeannie Young said...

Yum! I love good, easy meals. I'll have to try this one! Thanks for the great ideas, you are one talented woman.

JerieH said...

Oooo yummy - you might have just changed my meal calender for the week...

Kellie said...

Sounds delicious!!

Cyndi said...

Looks amazing! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try it.