Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Taste of Tuesday: Peach Pie

I made a peach pie. Yep, that's right -- me. I'm actually quite pleased with myself for it. I'd never made a dessert pie before, and I was a little nervous, but it turned out really yummy.


I'd attended a canning activity at church, at which we canned both tomatoes and peaches. There were lots of ugly (bruised, mushy, discolored) parts of the peaches that got cut off and set aside, merely because they weren't very pretty. We only canned the pretty peaches. I took home with me the bowl of loser peaches, and let it sit in the fridge for a day or two, while I decided what to do with them. I was talking to my mom about it, and she suggested I make a pie. The idea had never occurred to me. I didn't want to let them sit another day though, and I didn't have a pie crust at home (and was too intimidated to make one), and Ben had the car. Then I remembered reading and bookmarking a recipe almost two years ago on one of my favorite food blogs. It was for an unusual -- but really yummy-sounding -- pie crust, for which I knew I had all the ingredients.


That decided it. I was making a peach pie. Only, I didn't know how to make the filling. So I spent about an hour and a half looking up recipes in my cookbooks and online for peach pie filling. Then I decided to just wing it, based on everything I'd just read.

I made the crust, and the I set to the filling: the peaches, white sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a very little bit of ginger. It was a risk, but I trusted my instincts.


They paid off. The filling could have been a touch sweeter (a couple tablespoons more sugar), but it wasn't objectionable at all. I had gone easy on the sugar, knowing that the crust would be sweeter than a typical pie crust, and not wanting to go too sweet overall.

3 comments:

Jenneka said...

Mmmm! Sounds yummy. Wish I could have tried a bite. You can come and bake at my house ANY time!

Kellie said...

My mouth is watering!

JerieH said...

Ooooooooo!