Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Block party adventures

I promised fun pictures in my last post, and here they finally are.

We had a block party a few weeks ago on our street. It was a lot of fun. We hadn't had one in two or three years, and this time around we actually know our neighbors, and there are lots of kids on our street (instead of lots of for sale signs). In our town, when you have a block party, the fire department sends a couple of guys and a truck for the kids' entertainment. They were sitting in front of our house for at least 20 minutes before Julie warmed up to the idea. Even without sirens or loud noises, it was, at first, intimidating and nerve-wracking. I'd given up on the idea (until next year, anyway), when suddenly Julie said to me, "Mommy, I want fire truck." So we went and got in the line with the other kids. I had my friend keep an eye on her while I ran home to grab the camera really quick.

She's excited to be waiting, but truthfully, she's got no idea what's going on.

Waiting in line behind her friend "Chumby" (a nickname). I love his face here. He's looking over at his mom, and he's totally thinking, "Hehe...a girl's hugging me. Go me!"

I don't remember what this was about, but it's cute to me.

Excited about the camera.

Part of the fire truck.

Now that she was this close to it, she was feeling a little more trepidatious again, but fortunately, she didn't back down.

Still not sure what to think. It's an awfully big truck, and clearly not a toy.

"Whoa, everything looks smaller from up here! That's kinda cool..."

And she's totally over any nerves.



"Hmmm...what now?"

Safety first! (She insisted on putting the seatbelt on, by the way. I had nothing to do with it.)

Driving and loving it!

"What? I have to get down and let other kids have a turn? Surely you jest."

She did take two turns, and the second time around, I closed the door for just one picture. She really wasn't sure what to think about that. I think she did get a little nervous again.

Later on, after the water wars (notice the wet stringy hair), she hijacked our neighbor's car for half an hour. She loves that thing.

Unless her smiles are completely in-the-moment natural (like in the fire engine), the only way I can get Julie to smile these days is to ask her to show me her teeth. It works like a charm. I love this picture.

3 comments:

Jillian said...

That looks like so much fun! Glad you had a great time!

Kellie said...

She is so dang cute. Usually I think she is the spitting image of you, but there are a few in there where I can see Benjamin, specifically those with the seat belt.

Marilyn said...

Those are some cute expressions and good shots. :)