Saturday, September 10, 2011

Family camping

The extent of our family vacation this summer was one overnight campout with the rest of our ward from church. Ben would probably be happy to never take a non-camping vacation in his life, but generally he likes to go for more than one night. It's hardly worth the work, otherwise. For the most part, I agree with him.

We (well, I) got lucky: the weather was mild and temperate. It was in the high 70's, but breezy and not humid. At six months pregnant, I was grateful for that. We also brought our big canvas tent, so we were able to set up a cot inside, which meant I didn't have to sleep on the ground (hallelujah!).

Really, the only bad part was the bug bites. No matter how much I sprayed myself with bug spray, I couldn't keep them off of me. I don't know if it's because we had a "family-friendly" (no Deet) bug spray, so it was ineffective, or if it's because I'm pregnant and have higher-than-average body heat right now, and funky hormones, but I got eaten pretty badly. Mentholatum was my friend in the aftermath.

Julie loved camping. We've been as a family a few times, and she's always done really well. She loves being outdoors, and is interested in all things Daddy, so it's a great combination for her. She's careful around the fire, generally obedient (telling her to keep away from the edges of camp, where there was poison oak), and is happy to curl up with Ben on the ground under a blanket for bed. She also has a camp chair just her size (though she, of course, prefers Daddy's chair anyway). This time was especially fun because she's become much more social over the last year, and has friends now. One of her friends from her nursery class at church was in our campsite with us. The two of them had lots of fun together. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to get any pictures of it. Ben took a few shots of Julie once she was in her jammies (with her shoes back on over the footie part -- pretty cute, even though you can't see it in the photos), but that's about it.






Other images I like from the weekend:










1 comment:

Joo Lin said...

Julie is a cutie! That fire picture is great :)

I agree - it's only worth it to go for multiple nights for all the stuff we pack. Especially with kids!