Friday, September 2, 2011

First (first) day of school

This week was the first first day of school of Julie's life. We set up a Joy School with some friends from church. Joy School is a parent co-op preschool system, but there is an established curriculum, so you don't have to come up with it on your own. We pay to access materials (a totally reasonable fee when compared with actual preschools in the area), and then we rotate teaching with the other moms. Julie is in a class with four other kids around her age, all friends from her Nursery class at church. They meet twice a week for two hours each time.

Because it's not "real" school, I was determined not to get emotional about it, and I didn't. I was surprised, though, at how sentimental I felt that first day. I'm not really sure how to explain the difference, but I know what I mean.

Julie was so excited to wear her monkey backpack that she didn't mind posing for pictures. Note the slightly forced (but still oh-so-cute) smile elicited by my "show me your teeth!" She was pretty excited the morning that I took these. I must say, I agree with her shirt -- she's as cute as a bug.






This is a toddler-sized backpack, but I think it still looks so big on her.




1 comment:

Rachel Holloway said...

I looked into Joy School once but couldn't find enough people to do it. Which is a bummer...because I did that as a kid and have many fond memories! She is sure cute! And I hope you guys have many wonderful memories this year. :)