Tuesday, September 25, 2007

In Loving Memory

I have been blessed in my life to have known most of my great-grandparents, and even one great-great-grandmother. And not just at an age of a few months to a year. I remember them all vividly. I would like to share some memories of them here.

First, on my mom's side, there was Bobbo (get used to funny-sounding names). She's the one on the right:


Bobbo was my mother's mother's mother. Her real name was Beatrice Bunch Olden. She only lived in two houses her entire life: her father's house growing up, and her husband's house until the day she died. I was there when she did. I was eight years old. I remember her vividly. She could never say my sister's name right. "Candice" always came out "Canada," "Kansas," or something in between. I used to help her put on her stockings and shoes in the morning. She was a truly great lady. She died at the age of 94, after a long decline.

Another photo of Bobbo:



This is a four-generation photo: Bobbo, me (just barely a year old), Gra'ma (Mom's mom), and Mom.

Next comes Bobo (not to be confused with Bobbo). Bobo is pronounced just like Bobo the Clown. She's on the far left holding me (just over two years old), making the funny face:



Bobo was my father's mother's mother. Her name was Louise Leverton. She was a firecracker. She smoked two packs a day for who knows how many years, had a heart attack, and kept on smoking. I remember something that my dad said to/about her once -- it was either at Candice's or Clayton's baby blessing. He wanted to make sure that she knew that he always listened to and carefully considered the advice that she gave him (which was apparently ample), though he didn't always follow it. Bobo would often babysit me when my parents would go away for a weekend together. She stayed with me when they took their week-long vacation to Hawaii in 1987. She died of a brain tumor in January 1997.

Moving on to my great-great-grandmother, Mother Haldeman:



This is her holding me the day before my first birthday. While I do remember Mother Haldeman (MH), the images are vague. I don't know her real name. I know that she was my father's father's mother's husband's mother. (My dad's dad's mom was married to her first husband briefly -- I don't know if they were divorced, or if he died or what, but her second husband, to whom she was married for many many decades, is not a blood relative, although that in no way diminshes any of the relationships built). I don't know how old MH was when she died, but on the back of this photo, my mom wrote "MH with Janelle at birthday party, 80 years old." I think I was in 1st grade when she passed. Two things that I have left from her: a fabric doll made of blue and white gingham that she made, appropriately named "Baby Blue-and-White;" and an afghan that she knitted in pink, red, and white.

Finally, Lenny and Dodo (pronounced like the dodo bird):



This was taken the same day as the above picture. Lenny (Leonard Haldeman) was MH's son. Dodo (Rhea Haldeman) was my father's father's mother. She died a few years ago after a long battle with Alzheimer's. I was looking at a picture of myself the other day (I think it was my Maine driver's license), and I realized that it looked a little like some of Dodo's pictures. She had the round shaped upper cheeks that formed defined circles on either side when she smiled for pictures. I have that same characteristic in my driver's license photo. Lenny was a WWII vet. He was in Japan. He was also an avid golfer. He used to get up at 5:00 every morning, Monday through Friday, and go play 18 holes before breakfast. He had three plaques or certificates up on his wall that I remember, acknowledging his holes-in-one. Earlier this year, Lenny began to go into kidney failure. He was put on dialysis three times a week, and my Aunt Kim (bless her heart) became his primary caregiver, as she had for both Bobo and Dodo as they declined. On Sunday, while she was not at the hospital, Lenny was declared brain dead, and was resuscitated while the doctors waited for family to arrive. He died this morning.

Gone is a great era in my family. Two years ago I lost my first grandparent, though I expect that the others will be around for a few years still. I am 26 years old. I have been so blessed in my life to have a relationship with each of these wonderful people.

Rest in peace, Lenny. Your spirit is free from the pains and malfunctions of your imperfect body, and you are again reunited with your Love.

I love you all so much.

No comments: