Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Taste of Tuesday: Baked Mexican Penne

Normally I'm a skeptic when it comes to fusion cuisine. It's just weird to me. The extent of my fusion interests barely extend to Tex-Mex food. So when I first saw this recipe, I was uncertain. It looked and sounded really good, but it was salsa, ground beef, and black beans -- mixed with pasta. Hmmmm...



I gave it a try, and I'm so glad I did. It's yummy, and not at all weird. I've made it a few times since then, and it's definitely a keeper.

The first time I made it, as I was pouring it into the pan I thought, "this would lend itself well to a Dutch oven." We sat down for dinner, Ben took one bite, and said, "You should make this in the Dutch oven for our campout next month."

The second time I made it was for a Relief Society emergency preparedness activity, and I did do it in the Dutch oven.

The third time was for our camping trip...in the Dutch oven. It's a hearty meal for being outdoors and needing energy -- it's got good protein, but also good carbs in it, especially if you use whole wheat pasta.



Baked Mexican Penne
adapted from Recipes to Run On

1/2 pound penne (1/2 box)
1 pound ground turkey
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large bell pepper, chopped
1 large onion
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
salsa
salt and pepper
2 cups shredded cheese
cilantro (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Boil pasta according to package instructions.

Meanwhile, saute garlic, onions, and peppers in the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large non-stick skillet. Add ground turkey, spices, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until browned. Drain (if necessary) and add to a large bowl. Add the beans and pasta. Stir to combine. Add salsa gradually, until it looks good to you. (The original recipe called for way more than I would ever use, and I think I've ended up using around 16 oz each time.)

Spray a 9x13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Pour half the pasta mixture into the pan. Top with 1 cup cheese. Cover with remaining pasta. Then top with remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly and the cheese is golden.

Top with chopped cilantro, if using.

3 comments:

Jillian said...

That looks yummy!

Krystal Rose Webb said...

that looks sooo good! Thanks for the recipe!!!

Joo Lin said...

Yum! I'm going to try this too! I've been trying new recipes lately to mix up our meal plans.