Saturday, September 3, 2011

Thoughts on a second pregnancy

I originally wrote this back on August 16. I saved it in my drafts, vacillating on whether or not to actually publish it. My emotions have tempered somewhat since the initial writing (perhaps due in part to the catharsis of actually writing it out), and I'm feeling better in general, but I'll save that for another entry sometime in the next few weeks. In the end I decided to go ahead and publish this because I really feel strongly that there needs to be more dialogue on the subject, and by not sharing, I'm contributing to the very isolation that I've felt.

******************************

I hesitate to write this entry. For one thing, it's not news or updates, like usual, but rather some very personal thoughts and emotions. Second, I know that I might come across as ungrateful and/or cold-hearted, thought I'm not. There's another reason, but it won't make sense until after I share my thoughts.

For so long, Ben and I joked that we could never have another child. Julie was so easy-going and low-maintenance, that any other experience would only be downhill from her. However, we knew that our family wasn't complete with just one child. Neither of us have had that feeling of "there's one more waiting," but we weren't comfortable stopping at one.

Now I'm pregnant with my second. This pregnancy was planned, and was in no way an accident, even in the timing. I'm having a girl. When people find out, they ask if I'm excited. My answer is usually non-committal. Then they ask if I'd wanted a boy. Not necessarily.

At first I thought I just wasn't as excited about this baby as I was about my first, because the first is so magical -- all the new experiences and emotions. The second is, well, a repeat. Each pregnancy and each baby are different, but the 40-week process is -- basically -- the same each time. Just like with my first pregnancy, I haven't experienced morning sickness or nausea. My energy is lower than usual, I have some lower back pain, and sleep is becoming more burdensome. I do have to pee more this pregnancy than with my first.

But really, that's about all I have to complain about with my pregnancies. I consider myself blessed. Ben jokes that I don't really experience pregnancy, at least not traditionally. Julie was born via C-section, and I'll be having another C-section with Robyn, so I don't even experience traditional birth.

Some women feel a bond with their babies as soon as they get a positive test. Others it's a few weeks in. With my first pregnancy, I had an anatomy ultrasound at 20 weeks. Three days later, I felt the first kicking movements. The following week I finally started needing to wear maternity clothes, but only barely. Right around then is when it started to feel "real" to me, and I began to connect. I had an actual name by which I could refer to the baby (which less and less felt simply like a fetus), and I could feel her alive inside me.

So at first I just thought that this pregnancy seemed less magical, by mere virtue of its not being the first. I found out at 19 weeks that I'm having a girl. I started wearing maternity clothes around 14 weeks. About a week after that, I felt the first stirrings and contractions. Then I started to feel lots of baby movement, and instead of being excited as before, and wishing Ben could feel it, I find myself annoyed. She'll kick and move hard for 10-15 minutes at a time, then calm down for an hour. Each time she gets going, I get irritated. I'm glad that she's healthy and thriving, but the sensations are just nuisance-like to me.

I figured that once things started to sink in a little more (it's a girl...she's healthy...etc.), that I'd connect more and become more excited, like last time. But that hasn't happened. I'm 26 weeks today, and heading into my third trimester now. Each time someone asks me if I'm excited (whether referring to having a girl, or just in general), I find it hard to fake a "yes." So I started saying, "I'm getting there," but that also feels disingenuous.

I finally figured out what my problem is. I think I made the joke often enough that it sunk in a little too deep for me. I really think I could have been happy and satisfied with just one child, and not had any more. I don't not want this baby. I don't feel resentful. I just am not really very excited. At all.

I have many friends, some very close, some more like acquaintances, who are unable to have children of their own, or for whom it is very difficult. To them I'm sure I sound ungrateful. To those who have large families, I probably sound selfish, and maybe there's a bit of truth to that.

The other reason I hesitate to share all this is because I worry that someday, when Robyn reads it, that she'll feel that she wasn't wanted. I want to repeat that this was a planned pregnancy, and I wouldn't change anything about it. Ben tells me that I had more of a disconnect than I remember when it came to Julie's birth. He said it took me a week or so before I really felt a strong connection and embraced my newly found motherhood. He expects that my current discouragement will dissipate in much the same manner. I hope he's right.

I shared some of these personal thoughts and feelings a few weeks ago with a couple of girlfriends, each of whom are mothers to two already. They each told me that they've known other women who have expressed similar sentiments. I never have. I feel very alone in this, and that's hard. I'm glad to know that there are others out there, but I imagine that many of them are also hesitant to talk about these feelings, as I am. And so for that reason, despite what may be better judgment, I am sharing this. Women who may feel like this need to know that they're not alone in it. And despite what I -- and others -- may feel right now, I need to keep telling myself that eventually I'll come around.

9 comments:

Kellie said...

Janelle, I want to start by saying thank you for posting this. I know it wasn't an easy decision. In no way do I think you are being selfish for feeling the way you do right now. I think Ben is right and that you will eventually feel more excitement about either the pregnancy or the baby, but in my opinion, it probably won't happen til the baby is here. I say that because pregnancy gets more uncomfortable and tedious and because it's sometimes hard to get excited about something that isn't here yet.

I probably told you already, but I'll repeat myself here. I was not excited about being pregnant with Emma. I was frustrated with the timing and scared to death. It was hard to pretend to be happy and excited about something that I really felt little happiness over when the fear was so present.

I didn't feel any better after she was born either. I was happy to not be pregnant anymore. I was happy she was finally here. But I was still not really excited and didn't really feel the same connection to her that I'd felt with Megan and Jeremy. It wasn't until she her blessing day that the connection came to me. It took a lot longer than expected and a lot longer than I wanted, but it did come. And now there is an incredible bond between us.

I know it is something that isn't widely talked about, but try to remember, it is something that many women really do deal with.

It'll happen :)

heather said...

The best blog posts are the one that take a degree of courage to hit the "publish" button.

I don't know if I'll ever relate to this. As you know, I've only had one. I've often wondered if I could possibly love a second child as much as the first one, but I think my reasoning is off, because I do know that love expands us.

It might also be that I believe I was shown my children back when Hubby and I were still dating. They came to me one night in a dream with a specific message, and they addressed me as "mom"
I feel like I've already met them.

Bridget said...

Hugs!
I can sort of relate. I was so tired and sick and busy all during my pregnancy w/ Lucas that I thought and felt like I didn't have the time or energy to be excited like I was the first time.

Then when Lucas was born it was such a stressful situation and all I could remember thinking was OMG please let him be okay! You see Lucas was an Emergency C section. He wasn't breathing when he was born, the stress of labor was just too much for him. Luckily things turned out okay, and Lucas is healthy and happy.

I didn't get to see him for the 1st 24 hr after he was born. He was in the NICU and I was such a mess. The pain was uncontrollable, there was a fear of hemorrhage and on top of it all I ended up w/ pneumonia.
Then when the RN finally brought him to see me she handed him to me and he looked back at her with the look of "why are you giving me to her? I don't know her!" It broke my heart! But after a few hrs we got to know each other, and I'm pretty sure he remembered my voice. Every time I would talk to him or sing to him he would calm down and be happy. I think he recognized my voice from when I would talk or sing to Courtney.

Second pregnancies are funny that way we are so worried that we aren't excited or that we wont love them as much or the same as the first (that was my big fear) but it all worked it self out in the end.
Sending you all my happy thoughts and best wishes. Hugs!
Bridet

Kira said...

It's great that you posted this Janelle. I learned in my maternity rotation in nursing school that not everyone has that magical connect with the baby automatically. As a matter of fact it's not even the majority that do.

I also don't think it's a bad thing not to be excited; anyone who calls you ungrateful or an unfertile woman who scorns you for feeling this way is completely wrong. Just because you're not brimming over with complete joy doesn't mean that you don't want or love this baby. It's hard to brim over with joy when you're tired and could use a hoyer lift to help turn over in bed at night.

Personally, I can relate. This is my third pregnancy as you know, my third boy, and my other two are 6 years and 19 months. I have been so bone exhausted and stressed that most times I forget completely about the human being forming inside of me. He kicks and I think, "Oh yeah, there you are!" I took a prenatal yoga class that had a lot of focus on "Think about your baby... connect with your baby now..." And I felt so bad because I was thinking, "How the heck do I connect with him? He doesn't know!!!" :) So I can relate in a sense that I have not paid this pregnancy much attention or given the same amount of thought to this boy as I did the others. The anticipation is definitely less.

Like you however, I planned for and wanted this baby. I am one of those women who have that itch in the back of her mind that tells me that I have more children waiting. I know that this third boy is not my last. I am in no way ungrateful for him, but I do feel like each pregnancy after the first loses a little bit more "magic" every time.

Hang in there. Thanks for sharing :)

Lee Nowacek said...

Hey Janelle! Thanks for posting. I think a lot of women have complicated feelings during pregnancy, and it helps everyone when you are brave enough to talk about them. I loved having two girls in a row. For me, it was wonderful that they were far enough apart in age to be distinct individuals, and close enough to enjoy doing things together- which may be your experience too.

I love that you have her name picked out and refer to her by it.

Thanks for sharing! -Lee :-)

betsey said...

I totally agree with Lee, there are a lot of complicated feelings when we are pregnant! It is difficult to articulate, and I am glad that you did it! Did it feel better to write it all down and post it? Have the comments you received helped?

A friend of mine recently completed the adoption of her first. She posted about a hard day she had and how isolated she felt and I just appreciated it so much. Yes, having children is (most of the time) the realization of life long dreams, prayer, and love...but it doesn't mean it is always sunshine and roses and I think it is not authentic to pretend like it is. The older I get, the more I value my friendships with people who are honest and open about their struggles. It makes me feel comfortable to share what I am struggling with. And helps me to feel a lasting bond and connection with them. Thanks for writing this.

Jenneka said...

Hi Janelle, I'm really glad you shared this. I have also been struggling with how much to say to others about my negative experiences with baby bonding - fearing what my children will think when they find out I couldn't love them at first.

I have also recently come to a similar conclusion as you have: that I need to share my story to help other moms who may have a similar problem.

I actually felt plenty of connection during pregnancy, but suffered terribly from postpartum depression (and postpartum psychosis with my last baby). I think a big part of the problem is the pressure we put on ourselves to fake feelings we don't actually have. In some cases "fake it till you feel it" is good advice, but not when it comes to postpartum depression.

Just in case any of your readers finds themselves in my situation: feeling nothing for the baby (or even hating the baby) and having NO desire to care for it - I have to say: GET HELP! Do NOT think that it will just go away on its own. Believe me, you do NOT want to go through the hell that can comes from ignoring this problem for too long.

I am incredibly grateful that I eventually found the strength to do what had to be done to heal myself and my family (a process we will be in for a long time)... but I PRAY that anyone else who faces this challenge will learn that they're not alone. And won't feel like their only option is to "put on a brave face" and tough it out.

Thanks for letting me share.

Jillian said...

You are definitely not alone! I had a difficult time during my pregnancy, and felt bad about feeling bad, since we had fought so hard to get them here. Plus, I also had to 'grieve' the fact that I was not having a "normal" pregnancy experience, between the 12 weeks in the hospital and the c-section and the kiddos in the NICU. I didn't really start to bond with the kids until a while after they were home, I think (so, more than a month after they were born). I agree with you...I wish more people were upfront about their feelings, rather than saying, "Oh, everything is wonderful. I felt a strong connection immediately, etc." It's the TAMNs of this world that make it harder for those of us who just aren't feelin' it. ;)

JerieH said...

Hey Janelle,

I am glad that you posted this.

For me the connection between my baby and me is something that grows slowly and I never (with any of them) had a "moment" of magical bonding. For a long time I worried about this because my Sister would go on and on about hers... but the truth is that I am just not that type of person.

I too found it hard to be excited about being pergnant. I honestly hate being pregnant. The aches, the pains, the weight gain, the loss of independece, the unsolisited advice, the hormones.... I am a much hppier person now that Logan is here.

Hang in there and know that you are so not alone!