Sunday, December 16, 2007

Kitchen substitution

A few months back, I bought a couple of pregnancy cookbooks (which I've used a grand total of once, I think). They have a lot of weird recipes, and a lot of fish recipes, but they have a LOT of useful information, which I have found so far to be the biggest benefit from them. Reading all the nutrition information and how to get what I need has been helpful in just trying to balance meals I already make.

One recipe I did use, however, had me make a substitute for sour cream (although it didn't say that's what it was). It's really good, really easy, high in protein and calcium, low in fat, and -- when mixed in with other stuff -- doesn't taste a whole lot different from sour cream.

1 cup cottage cheese or Ricotta cheese
1/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt

I haven't used Ricotta cheese -- I've only tried it with cottage cheese. You put the cheese in a food processor or blender, and blend until it's smooth, and there are no more chunks. Then add in the yogurt, and blend until they are well mixed and creamy.

Simple as that! Store it in a little tub in the fridge, make it as you need it, and it's so much better for you than sour cream!

1 comment:

montanawildflower said...

Great tip! I'll have to remember this one.