Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Malfunctioning olfactory apparatus

I seem to be reverting back to what I thought were primarily 1st trimester problems. They are food related.

During the first trimester, there were some foods that just weren't appetizing in the least, or that made me nauseous, or that I couldn't even smell. I never once "got sick" though (knock on wood). The only thing that has lasted throughout the pregnancy is wheat. I still can't really stomach wheat bread, bagels, flour in my own baking. The only wheat things I've been able to eat and enjoy are whole wheat tortillas (after the 1st trimester), and Cheesecake Factory's whole wheat baguette (the dark bread they given you while you wait for your meal -- it's not pumpernickel!).

Last week, I was at the mall with my mom. She stopped into Starbucks for an afternoon chocolate pick-me-up. I couldn't wait in line with her -- the smell was too strong. I figured at the time that it was probably just because it was a coffee shop, so of course it's going to be really strong on the nose.

Yesterday morning, I was in the staff break room at work, and the coffee pot was filling up. I had to leave the room while heating up my breakfast because the scent was so strong. I thought I might lose the breakfast I was about to eat.

Last night when I got home. I turned the corner at the top of our stairs to go down to see Benjamin in the basement, when I smelled something funny. At first it smelled like really stinky feet. I got downstairs and it was even stronger. The culprit: the open bag of Fritos Ben was eating out of.

This morning, I went to the staff break room again to heat up breakfast (I'm always running late in the morning, so I bring it to work with me). The coffee pot was already full, so it wasn't as pungent as yesterday, since it wasn't being churned at the moment, but the scent was still almost too much for me. I heated up the omelet Ben had left in the pan for me, and when I ate it, I couldn't finish because it was too heavy on the salt. Like swallowing a mouthful of beach water kind-of salty. Ben said he thought it was "delicious."

I'm becoming less and less motivated when it comes to dinner and the kitchen. Part of it is that I just don't want to stand at the counter chopping and preparing, and part of it is that I'm not interested in eating much these days.

Except for cereal. I am loving cereal. Strange, I know. I'm pregnant. So sue me.

6 comments:

Joseph Hemmert said...

Hey girl I am glad to see something good is coming out of your pregnancy. You are becoming a super hero! With your super smelling ability I am sure you can come up with a way to foil the criminal mastermind. Love you and miss you. Please remember to let me know when your new little bundle of joy arrives. You don't have to call or anything, but let me know.

Summer said...

Pregnancy is so weird! When I was prego with Andrew, I couldn't stand the smell (or taste) of broccoli - and it's my favorite veggie! With Logan, I couldn't take tomatoes! Even the home-grown fresh ones - I was really mad about that! With Hannah, I really didn't have any food aversions that I can think of...though pizza didn't taste as good to me for some reason...Hmmmm.

I'm excited for your baby shower!

Celeste Jean said...

Haha stinky feet fritos. Hehehe.

The Powell-Mirci Family! said...

Man! Aren't smells in pregnancy weird! It can change your oppions about certain foods for good! Coffee stinks even to us non-preggers!
-Diane

Celeste Jean said...

I got blog tagged this week, so now I’m tagging you "it"! (absolutely no obligation to play ☺)

If you would like to play, here's how this game of tag goes:

1. Link to the tagger.

2. Share 7 random or weird facts about yourself.

3. Tag 7 people, post their names and links to their blogs on your blog.

4. Tell the 7 people you tagged by posting “Tag you’re it” on their blogs in their comments box and explain the rules to them.

Rachel said...

I LOVE cereal when I am pregnant! Especially at the end because you don't have much room for dinner and big meals. I always ate a bowl of cereal before bed. Sorry about the smells, it goes away, I promise!