Monday, April 28, 2008

Quick update

First of, a great big huge THANK YOU to all of our well-wishers. We couldn't be happier, and we're excited to share that with you.

Now for a quick update. Julie and I both came home from the hospital on Saturday. The pediatrician was a little concerned about her weight, but sent her home on the condition that we come in today for a weight check. She was 5 lbs 4 oz when she was born, and after a few days dropped to 4 lbs 11 oz. That may not seem like much, but it's over 10% of her birth weight, being so little to start with. By the time she was discharged, she was back up to 4 lbs 12 oz, which again isn't much, but shows ability to gain.

I am doing pretty well. I have some nasty swelling in my ankles and feet, which I never had while I was pregnant. I also am having quite a bit of back pain. I'm not having too much pain from my actual incision, though, which I'm grateful for. I'm still dreading my first sneeze though. I'm super tired, and have had more emotional breakdowns (some triggered, some random) in the last week than during my entire pregnancy, but I'm trying to adjust.

Ben went back to work today, and I think it probably broke his heart to have to leave and not be able to be with Julie all day long. He is completely wrapped around her tiny little finger. Totally smitten. It's very sweet to watch him interact with her.

Again, thank you to everyone for your well wishes. We're so grateful to have friends and family like you.

2 comments:

James, Reese, Lauren, Maddie said...

Glad you are all home and doing well!! Make sure you get as much rest as you can!! I love that Ben is already smitten and wrapped around her little finger... the way it should be. Take care!!!

Yonker Family said...

I'm sure it feels great to be home, even as an emotional wreck. I hope somebody told you that you might be that way for a little while and it doesn't make you much different than anybody else who has had a baby, so don't stress it. Do you have meals coming in? Just try to take it easy and enjoy the sweet new addition to your family.