Yesterday's Dear Abby column was something I wanted to share with all my friends who are moms of young children. Mothers of Young Children Need 'Time Out' to Recharge.
For me, Ben always tried to encourage me (and even give me specific opportunities) to get out of the house every day. I get energized, and Julie is in a happier mood if we go out and do something. Plus, I tend to like to stay in my jammies if I don't have to get dressed, so if I go out to do something, then it means that I'll actually get dressed and make myself presentable every day, which also makes me feel better.
Anyway, if you are a "young mother" or a mother of "young children," please take a minute or two to go read this article.
4 comments:
Thanks for the link. I am like you..if I don't have somewhere to be I am content to stay in jammies all day. One things I didn't totally agree with was the one lady who said,"Maybe she needs to go back to her career earlier than planned" I don't think working outside the home is necessarily the solution, but that is what our society has been taught to think nowadays. But, it was still a good article.
That was a great letter. Thanks!
I liked the letters and I went back to read the original letter.
I think it is a myth that "good moms" are happy only being a mom. Good employees are people that have outlets outside of the work place - as a mom we have just as much of a need for time-off (and a change of senery) as everyone else.
I have to disagree with the "working" mom. Mothers that work full-time outside the home are really working two jobs. Studies show that they have much higher stress levels, get sick more often, age quicker, and still do the majority of the house work at home. - Who needs that? As for needing adult conversation, that are plenty of ways to get that. It might take a little more planning and effort, but it is attainable.
Sorry - that was long
Awesome article! Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment