Wednesday, December 5, 2007

I love I love I love my calendar girl!

Every year, picking out a calendar seems like such a big deal to me. It shouldn't be -- it's just a calendar. But I have to life with whatever I pick for the rest of the year. Every day of the whole year, I'm going to see that calendar.

I ended up being very dissatisfied with my choice for 2007. I picked one that had black and white photographs of Paris. Sounds great, right? Well, the pictures were nothing really very spectacular, but it was the quality of the calendar itself that bugged me all year. See, I picked it up for $2.50 in the dollar section at the front of a Target store. I should have known better. Once I opened it up (thus making it unreturnable), I discovered that the pages were no thicker that those of a magazine -- no structure to them at all! When I wrote something on a date, it made a carbon-copy-like image on the next month or two, because it was so low quality. I was bummed out, and vowed I would never buy a super-cheap calendar again.

I am pleased with my purchase for 2008. It's a (higher quality) Norman Rockwell calendar.

When I was only five years old, my great-grandmother Dodo gave me a book called The Faith of America. It was about Norman Rockwell, and was illustrated by him. I have loved his art ever since. It's either happy, political, makes you laugh at it, or all of the above at the same time. Here is the official Norman Rockwell website: http://www.normanrockwell.com/.

2 comments:

Bryan said...

I totally agree - cheap calendars are the WORST! We've had similar experiences, so now, each year we get the Liz Lemon Swindle calendar (she includes numerous paintings of Christ, and each one of them is great).

Janelle said...

Her stuff is beautiful. One of my favorites pieces ever is "Be It Unto Me" -- it's just so compelling and full of emotion.