Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Conference help

Ben and I were talking last week and General Conference, and thinking ahead to when our kids are old enough that they probably ought to be paying attention. Truthfully, it's hard enough for us sometimes to sit attentively to spiritual education for 4 hours a day, two days in a row (more for Ben!). I was telling him that my mom used to make up "Conference Bingo" type cards for us. They had a series of words or phrases that might be likely to get used in Conference talks, and we would cross them off as we heard them. For each "Bingo" we got, we earned a piece of candy (or something like that...I don't remember exactly). Ben commented that something like that might even be helpful for him to get him to pay a little more attention (especially by the time we get to Sunday afternoon). At first I thought he was joking, but he wasn't.

So I made up some Conference Bingo boards. I came up with a list of 100 words or phrases that you'd be likely to hear sometime during the course of General Conference. I had Ben (with his nifty statistical programming) arrange them all randomly for me, and I put them into a format for printing. If you would like to use them, click here for the Excel file. It's already formatted to print with the header at the top of each of 8 pages. Each page is unique.

3 comments:

montanawildflower said...

super cool! impressive and I'm sure this will come in handy for years to come. thanks for sharing.

Lane family said...

Hi- my name is Meghan Lane. I don't think that we've met. I'm in primary and don't know anyone over age 12! My kids are old enough to pay attention- but it doesn't mean they do! Thanks for the cool idea, and doing all the work for me!

-Meghan

Janelle said...

Yeah, this idea only really works for kids that can, you know, read. Or husbands that are easily bored (heck, I'll probably use them myself!).