This is the front of our house:
As you can see, the planter area is more than a little overgrown, and in serious need of clearing. The ground cover that previous residents put in is outrageous. We learned that it's called Japanese spurge, though we prefer to call it "scourge" instead. It had to come out. Besides all the normal stuff you find when you rip out a large chunk of unwanted yard (rocks, bricks, worms, bugs, etc.), we also found three baseballs and a chewed-up tennis ball.
Earlier this spring, I had daffodils come up (that I didn't know I had). They were the white variety, or white with orange/yellow centers. I don't really like that kind very much -- I really prefer the bright yellow ones. So they came up too. My mother-in-law is taking them home to plant in the Fall.
After the demolition derby in the front yard, we took a couple trips to Home Depot and a nursery, and redecorated. We trimmed the dead stems off the hydrangea plant from last Summer, moved an azalea and a rhododendron plant from the backyard up to the front, and condensed the columbine into one area in the planter (I had it in three different spots over three different planters).
Then we started planting the new stuff. I have hostas and salvias around the tree. I have asiatic lilies between the azalea and the rhodie.
I have red and white rose bushes where the giant dead ugly evergreen bush was.
I have petunias and verbenas planted throughout. I have cheery gerber daisies in the pot on my porch.I have a beautifully sculpted new line of rocks creating a barrier between the grass and the planter. And we've laid down grass seed to lengthen out our lawn. The grass will go all the way up to the rock line.
These are all the bags we filled up with debris. We need to get more still!
Thank you so much Brian, Darcy, and Ben! The yard looks so much nicer now!
7 comments:
WOW it looks great! way to to ben and family! Its so exciting to get the outside of your house looking great! i really love and i know it was a lot of work!! great job!
I love working in the yard. I also love the feeling you get every time you walk up to the front of your house for the next few weeks and see how much better it looks. You guys did a great job. I take it you are putting grass seed in front of the rocks.
So enough of the yard, when do we get to see more close-ups of the baby?
Sorry, after reading through the post again I answered my own question about the grass seed.
That looks so nice. What a lot of work. Your house is amazing on the inside too. I wish my house was that cute.
Janelle, it looks way good. Ahh I love yard work, believe it or not. Someday we'll have a yard I can have some fun with! I heard you were sick, I hope you and Julie are feeling better!
Looks fantastic!
Post a Comment