Friday, June 27, 2008

Recent projects

I've had a couple of projects going recently. The first is a wall hanging quilt that I started, hoping to be able to hang up next week for the 4th of July. I finished the top of it, and the yo-yos to attach, but I haven't picked out a backing or a binding. I don't think I'll be hanging it this year. Next year though. This was my first quilting project of my own, though. My mom is an amazing quilter, and I've helped and observed her doing it for many years, so I had an idea of what I was doing, but this was the first one of my very own.

Next were these drawer pulls for the dresser in Julie's room. We bought the dresser unfinished, and Ben painted it white. Drawer pulls can't be boring, though. Not in a baby's room anyway. We searched and searched online, and couldn't find ladybug drawer pulls that we liked for a reasonable price. I finally found this pull, but it's $20 a pop! I looked at it for a few minutes, though, and realized that it wouldn't be hard to replicate. So I took our boring plain wood drawer pulls, painted them red with basic acrylic paint, then drew the black on them with a Sharpie marker. I cut a toothpick in half, and dipped the wider end of it into white paint and dotted on the eyeballs. Normally I would do that with the non-brush end of a paintbrush, but I don't think I have one in the house. After the white dried, I took the Sharpie again, drew eyes in the eyeballs, and then put a clear coat over the whole thing. Viola!



8 comments:

betsey said...

Your ladybug handles look exactly like the expensive ones! Great job Janelle!

Yonker Family said...

I love the way the yo-yos, or whatever you called them, on the quilt actually look like a fire work going off in the sky, very cool. I had a friend that did the bug pulls on her kids drawers, I always thought they were really cute and pretty versatile since all her kids shared a room. When she did bugs with wings she would just draw or paint the wings on to the drawer below the pull.
Anyhow, Julie is getting so big and still so cute. How is it being home all day? I was reading below, did you guys decide to do all the vaccinations after all?
And don't go private without me. tamyonker@aol.com

Lane family said...

SO CUTE! Those are just as cute as the expensive ones! My girls used to have a "bug room". I loved it. (that was before the fell in love with Hannah Montana, and the Jonas brothers. Enjoy it while you can!) Did you spray the knobs with polyurethane so that all your hard work won't rub off?

Rachel Holloway said...

SO CUTE! LOVE IT!! What a creative way to be thrifty--gotta love that!

Jeannie Young said...

Good job! The drawer pulls look great! I love the quilt too.

Janelle said...

Meghan: I didn't spray them with polyurethane when I was done, but we had a can of it from other projects, so I applied it with a sponge brush (which is what I used to paint the red). If I were to do it again, however, I might use a spray, because the black ink from the Sharpie bled a little bit.

Jay and JoAnn said...

I can see that some of your mom's talents have rubbed off on you. The quilt is adorable and great job on the dresser. It's amazing what we can come up with on our own when we don't want to pay store prices. Keep going!
JoAnn

Summer said...

Adorable drawer pulls, Janelle! Great job! Cute quilt too!