Tonight's feature is for my fellow nerds out there (I know there's more than one of you). Or perhaps just the incredibly bored.
First up, we have The Daily Sudoku. Here you can play Sudoku online, in multiple forms. There is the traditional 9x9 box. There is also what they call the "Squiggly" version, in which each section contains 9 squares, but the lines move around. There is also a kids' version, ranging from a 4x4 board to a 9x9. The numbers can be swapped out for letter if the kids prefer. The ultimate Sudoku on this site is the "Monster" version. There are two levels of this. One involves the numbers 0-9 and the letters A-F. The other is only (I know, only) 1-9 and A-C. They are both certainly a challenge. There's a lot more to keep track of. The traditional and Squiggly versions are the only ones available for interactive play online, however the kids and the monster versions can be printed out. There is also a link to another Japanese logic-based grid game called Nurikabe.
Next up is the bizarre Killer Sudoku. Killer Sudoku starts out with the 9x9 grid, but doesn't give you any numbers to start with. Each square is boxed with 1-8 other squares, and you are told the sum of the numbers contained within that box (no repeats), and you have to figure out every single number, without startup. They start with an easy one on Mondays and progress harder as the week goes on. I find that I can solve the easy ones on my own, and occasionally a "moderate" one, but past that I need hints. It does have a sum calculator you can use, which is pretty nifty. There are other types of super crazy versions of Sudoku on this page as well, but I don't play them very often.
Finally, for your inner word nerd/activist, I present Free Rice. Free Rice lets you test/build vocabulary skills while donating food to countries in need. For each correct definition you provide (out of a multiple choice list of synonyms), 10 grains of rice are donated. You don't have to sign up or register or anything like that.
2 comments:
We have done free rice, so many times. Isn't it fun? Thank you for that address to those high-heel pics. I can't believe you found those! You are good...
Janelle, I absolutely love sudoku! I feel like a nerd too. I am so bad as to have a sudoku book in my nightstand and it is the first thing I do in the morning (my kids are older and don't require immediate attention) and the last thing I do at night. Pathetic...I know!
Post a Comment