When I first found out (back in April) that our ward at church was going to be participating in an inter-faith softball league this Summer, I encouraged Ben to join the team. I thought it would be something he'd enjoy and would be fun to go see him play in the evenings. I was right on both counts. We didn't figure the season would last so long, or that the games would all be 30 minutes away from home, and be double-headers most nights. Suffice it to say that it was a long Summer for both of us. Ben was often gone two nights a week, playing. He'd come home with a torn-up pant leg (not to mention his real leg) and half a limp. Most often the team lost. This was largely due to very few of the 34 people on the roster actually showing up, and not being able to put together a really strong team. Somehow they made it to the playoffs, and beat the first two teams they played. Unfortunately they lost the championship series. Ben got a good hit during the second game, though. I was surprised at how well Julie did that evening. She was out past her bedtime, and in a very stimulating environment with everybody shouting and cheering and clapping, not to mention the kids running all over. Eventually, she put herself to sleep. After I took a quick video of Ben's hit, I went over to where she was laying, and found her sucking her thumb, her eyelids very droopy.
Julie sucked and smacked on her hands for about two weeks. Eventually, she figured out that her digits separate from each other and she found her thumb. I was glad when she started sucking it, because it means that she's learning to sooth herself (which she does...she puts herself to sleep every night now). She sucked her thumb for about 10 days before she figured out that she also has fingers. This week she's been sucking her fingers -- all four on one hand -- instead of her thumb. Today I think she's starting to discover her feet. For some time now she's put her feet up in the air anytime she's on her back, but I think she's finally starting to realize that there's something down there and that they're attached to her. She doesn't reach for them yet, but she's starting to watch her feet more.

2 comments:
Such fun things! I LOVE it when they put their legs in the air and grab their toes! SO CUTE!!!
Post a Comment