Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Ugh

This morning at 5:30, I was changing the sheets on my bed. It's not because I'm a morning person and was cleaning my room today. It's not because I wet the bed, nor is it because Ben wet the bed (neither of which has ever occurred during our actual memory spans). It's not because I was "nesting" (which, by the way, let me just say for the record: I feel gypped that I didn't get to go through the nesting phase when Julie decided to come early). It's not because I didn't like the color of the sheets. No, it's because Julie threw up on them at 5:30 in the morning.

She woke up to feed at 4:46 this morning. Almost a 9-hour stretch. I went and got her out of her crib and brought her into my room (I usually sit up in bed to nurse her because I don't trust my groggy self to not let her roll off my lap in the rocking chair in her room). She ate for about 7 minutes and then just decided to look around for awhile, wide awake. I really don't like it when she's in that kind of a mood at 5:00am. Well, she kept looking around for about 20 minutes, but I knew if I put her back in her crib she'd just start crying and then I'd never get back to sleep. Finally Ben got up to shower, so I had him change her diaper (so I wouldn't have to get up) and then bring her back to me. I laid down to try the nursing-while-on-my-side technique, which isn't particularly comfortable for me, but which I'm taking to doing more frequently during these early morning feedings. She laid down next to me, took a couple of sucks, and started coughing (oh yeah, she'd already had one scary coughing spell earlier). She seemed to be okay by now, so I started to turn her head back toward me, when she just erupted. Ugh. So I got up anyway. I changed her jammies, cleaned off the back of her head, and put her in her crib. Then I stripped down our bed and went downstairs to the laundry to get our other set of freshly washed sheets. By then Ben was getting out of the shower, so we put the sheets on the bed. Then I went back to the nursery, got Julie out of bed, fed her (in the rocking chair, since I was wide-awake by now). She fell fast asleep after a few sucks. I laid her back in bed, then I went back to bed. I climbed back into my own bed at 5:58. I'd been awake for over an hour with this little escapade. Oh well. At least I knew that I'd be having homemade cinnamon rolls for breakfast this morning.

Oh contraire. I had made the cinnamon rolls last night, put them in a baking dish, covered it, and stuck it in the fridge for Ben to bake this morning. I got more rolls out of this batch of dough than I normally do, so the baking dish was too crowded. The rolls didn't bake through very well. They're too doughy. So I'm disappointed. :(

I guess the day can only mostly go up from here, right? (Knock on wood...)

2 comments:

Summer said...

Oh bummer! Sorry about your rough morning! Hope Julie gets feeling better!

Carissa Poyfair said...

Honestly, the "nesting" phase is not all it's cracked up to be. At least for me, it's all about stressing over every thing that isn't clean and won't stay clean long enough for you to be happy with it. Sorry about your morning, though. At least you are lucid enough to change the sheets so early in the morning! And I am just as upset about the cinnamon rolls as you are- I love them!