Saturday, September 13, 2008

Foolish or wise?

Today was stake women's conference. We had a lunch and service project portion to the day, but the part that really stuck with me was the spiritual part. It was a musical oratorio about the 10 virgins. After it was over, I headed to the kitchen to help get lunch ready (my ward was in charge). As I walked down the hall and started working, my thoughts really turned inward.

I'm not sure I really ever understood the parable before. As I listened to the performance, and the stories of each virgin (it's been fictionalized, but still based on the parable), I realized that I had a hard time figuring out who was foolish and who was wise. It wasn't until the end when the wedding happened that I could really sort it out. And I realized that I think that's the point. We don't know who of those around us are "foolish" or "wise." They all blend together. One of them, for example, didn't have enough oil in her lamp because she never went to the market to get any extra because she was always so busy doing other things. Good things, but just not the best priorities.

I realized today that I am a foolish virgin at this point in my life. I have a lot on my plate that I try to do, and I keep up with a lot of it. But none of it right now is personal scripture study or prayer. I've actually had it on my mind frequently over the last couple of weeks or so, but today it really sank in.

Okay, I don't really have a tie-up to my thoughts...that's really it.

6 comments:

betsey said...

Love it! That is exactly what I felt like after the conference. Lots that I try to do, but I often leave out the important (no, ESSENTIAL!) stuff like meaningful scripture and prayer.

I have to say, the cookies were a HIT! In my opinion, they were the best part of the lunch. I forgot to sign up to get the recipes, good thing I have an inside connection :) Can I get those from you?

JerieH said...

I had too take a closer look at my life as well... do I visit the Shopkeeper on the hill enough to keep my flame lit? Probally not....

Anonymous said...

I thought the same thing. I dont reall y think I ever understood and this really helped me out. And i was getting very emotional thinking about going up that hill (scripture study and prayer). I think I am very proud because every blessing I have ever received but two I think have counseled me to pray and read my scriptures!!! I am glad that there are other sisters that are in the same boat as me, but now we all need to jump ship!

Anonymous said...

Hey Janelle, I have that CD if you would like to borrow it. Caye C. has the book which is lovely too! Love, Mom

Jeannie Young said...

I just gave the first Sunday lesson in R.S. on the 10 virgin parable. I have been giving a lot of thought to that as well and I learned a lot through planning the lesson. I found some great insights from a book called "Scriptural Parables for the Last Days." ( I think I'm getting the title right!!) What hit me the most was that the authors pointed out that all the virgins are members of the church, it's not between good and bad, just foolish and wise---those who plan and prepare spiritually and those who don't. I think you hit it right on the nail though. I think most of us spend our time doing good things, but maybe those aren't the most important! It's something I'm constantly working on! So, you are not alone!!!

Rachel Holloway said...

I obviously wasn't at this conference, but it sounds GREAT! I love those moments of reflection that seem to sink in at just the right time...

Am gonna look into this music! :)