Friday, September 26, 2008

Friday Feature: For the crafty girl

I’m not a huge crafter. I would like to me more of a crafter, but not an excessive crafter. Most crafting type blogs that I find out there are a little too over-the-top for my taste, but there are a few gems that I have stumbled across that I would like to share.

First is Unnecessary Necessities. I first noticed a link to it on a friend’s blog (I think it’s maybe someone that she knows personally), and was immediately attracted to the fun blog name. The author finds her ideas across the internet and blogosphere and shares her favorites. There are some that I’m not too interested in, and others that I love, like this idea for making a tray with a picture frame. Most of her crafts are relatively simple, and often (like the tray), versatile as well. I am often hesitant to make something that isn’t versatile enough.

Second up is Grace Violet. I love her ideas. There have been one after another that I have just wanted to copy. She made a decorative cash wallet (which I want to make for carrying coupons in, so I actually USE coupons), a set of flashcards with scrapbook paper and plastic name badge holders, and a covered baby wipes case. Her website is simple in design and not distracting, making it easy to focus on her projects. To me, these are “real people crafts,” not super-mom things.



Lastly I have The Shabby Nest. I found this blog through a suggestion from my Google Reader, but I stayed because I was drawn to her simple “cutified” (to steal her word) clipboards. Most “cute” clipboards that I see look like someone threaded a mop through the handle and the top and tied a pen on. If that’s your style, more power to you, but it is most definitely NOT my style. The author of this blog lives in Maine, which most of you know is where I lived before I moved to Cleveland. New England décor is relatively simple but very cute. I’m not sure how to best describe it, but she’s got it. I really like it, and her crafts seem to go along with her home.

Are you working on any crafty projects?

3 comments:

Kellie said...

I love love love the clipboards! Can't wait to have a house. With rooms. To decorate and do stuff with. Cause I'm definitely doing that somewhere.

Kellie said...

Oh, I forgot to answer your question. Why yes I am working on crafty things. I'm working on a bunch of primitive stitches for Christmas presents (it's a homemade Christmas this year) and also Megan's Halloween costume (Fancy Nancy). I probably didn't need to go out and buy a dress pattern, but it gave me an excuse to sew something fun.

JerieH said...

To answer you question, I have several projects right now. A quilted table runner, an challenge quilt (topic: history), a knit hat with scalloped edge for Ginny, and a list of UOF's (unfinished objects) I inherited from my MIL.