Monday, September 1, 2008

Week/end in review

It's been a somewhat eventful week/end. On Saturday, we bought a new TV. Not because we just felt like it. Not because we had an extra several hundred dollars laying around that we wanted to blow on a new toy. No, we bought a new TV because we needed one (if you consider it a "need"). A few months ago, our nice big TV decided to stop showing the full picture on the screen, then a few days later, it decided to just black out a large part of the screen. Then last week our small TV decided to start doing the wave while we watched. It was distorting the picture really badly. So we started to see if it would be worth it to have either or both of them repaired. We discovered that neither of them are "DTV ready" and in addition to repairing them, we'd have to buy the converter box by February anyway. So we decided just to upgrade. It sure hurt the pocketbook, but it looks nice. And all our entertainment stuff is now in the basement. And since that was Saturday's project, that means that today's project is rearranging the upstairs living room.

Sometime in the last two days, our crawdad molted. It's really weird, and kind-of gross to see his old exoskeleton sitting on the floor of the tank.

Right now, Ben is outside trying to get the ivy off the side of our house. We borrowed an extension ladder from a friend at church, but Ben can't climb it, since it's apparently quite wobbly and he's "terrified of heights." So he's leaning out the window of the spare bedroom upstairs instead in an attempt to get as much ivy down as possible. I wonder if we'll ever have Christmas lights on our house?

Julie had her four-month checkup on Friday. I tried to give her some Tylenol right before we left so that it would be working its way through her system by the time she got her shots. As soon as I squeezed the last of the goo out of the dropper into her mouth, she spit/drooled it all back out, then for added good measure, she projectile vomited all over herself, her dress (that she'd had on for literally five minutes), and her carseat. We had 15 minutes before we needed to leave. I was planning on grabbing something for me to eat during that time, as I hadn't eaten lunch yet. But no, I spent it cleaning everything up, including the floor, since it dripped through the bottom of the carseat. Unfortunately for Julie, although I cleaned her up and changed her clothes, she still had to sit in a wet and smelly carseat because I didn't have time (in that 15 minutes) to wash and dry the cover. I did it when we got home though. Then, on the way to church yesterday, she threw up all over herself and the carseat again. Julie is a little odd when it comes to her vaccines -- she doesn't get a fever and doesn't get extra fussy. In fact, her temperature drops a little and she seems to be happier than usual. After her two-month checkup, she was a little lethargic, but not unhappy. Yesterday at church, she kept spitting up. It was mostly drooly, not much substance, but finally she got up what she was apparently fighting with, because she stopped. Her last bout had mucus in it, which was a little concerning to me. The only time I've ever seen that was when she was sick way back at six weeks old. Today, she's a little stuffier than usual (though breathing fine), sweaty, and really fussy. Her temperature is low, though.

This afternoon we're going to barbecue for then end of Ben's softball season. Friends, food, fun! We're looking forward to it.

No comments: