Saturday, October 4, 2008

Half the job

I was supposed to go apple picking on Tuesday. I was going to go with a couple of friends and their kids. We were going to pick lots and lots of apples, and then make applesauce.

Well, when I got up Tuesday morning, it was pouring rain. I have a good raincoat, but old shoes. And I don't have any rain stuff for Julie. Besides which, even though I have a good raincoat, I didn't want to be out in the rain for several hours. So I backed out.

Yeah, I'm a wimp. So sue me.

My friends went anyway. I'm not sure what the final poundage was of apples that they picked -- one said 82 pounds, another said 92. Anyway, it was a lot of apples.

I still got to help make applesauce. It was fun. Wednesday night I went over to Jerie's house with a couple other girls in the ward, and we peeled and chopped and cooked and stirred. Okay, I really didn't do very much because I was a klutz on the way in and jammed my finger with the blunt end of a knife handle, and spent the evening holding a bag of frozen corn around it. When I finally did feel up to using my hand, I started scooping the applesauce from the pan (hot from the stove) into a mason jar through a funnel. I managed to drip hot applesauce on my fingers. Yes, I am just that graceful. Did I mention it was the same hand? I wasn't having a good night.

We only got through about half the apples that night. Jerie was going to spend the entire next day working on it again. I offered to come over again (more carefully this time) to help out. It was part offering and partly that I wanted a specific excuse to get out of the house and have contact with someone other than Julie. So I spent five and a half hours at Jerie's house on Thursday making applesauce (without incident, I might add). It was fun. We got almost through it all, and I brought some home with me (thanks Jerie!).

I couldn't resist taking pictures of the beautiful apples. They were just too colorful.



6 comments:

Kellie said...

I'm pretty sure it was 92, I was the one to look at the scale with the guy that worked there while Jerie was getting her car closer to the store. I remember being impressed because Jerie said we probably had near 100 lbs. and she was right.

JerieH said...

I would go with what Kellie says, my brain isn't working lately and if I can't remember what I went into the kitchen for how would I remember a random number.... I think it had a 2 in there some where! The receipt say we spent $73 on apples, but not how many pounds.

I hope your finger is better, if not I could go yell at my stairs for you. My neighbors already think I am weird.

Candice said...

spaz

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous!! I keep forgetting about all these activities at night and sharing a car with Gable becomes interesting because he stays to work out so we are never on the same time schedule!

Summer said...

Such fun! Apple picking is one of my fav Fall activities! I couldn't make it to Cooking Club last week, but I did go apple picking with Logan and then made applesauce in my Crock Pot! YUMMY! Great apple pics!

Marilyn said...

That is nice that it worked out for you to go the day after and work on making the applesauce again. I enjoyed going last Wednesday and look forward to our next cooking/baking session. Those apples were delicious (I couldn't help snacking...)