Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Wishful Wednesday: Childhood Memories

Today is part wishing and part reminiscing.

Every October as I was growing up, my parents and I would head north (from Anaheim) to my great-grandmother's house (in Paso Robles). October brought a great central Californian tradition: Pioneer Day. Pioneer Day is an all-day free and super-fun event that includes a parade and lots of food. The best part is Pioneer Day Beans, cooked in giant barrels in the park and in the streets.

October 11th (just a week and a half ago) marked the 78th annual Paso Robles Pioneer Day. The tradition still happens almost as it originally did. My mom and grandmother grew up going to Pioneer Day every year. I think they were even in the parade at least once. My great-grandmother was even the "Pioneer Day Queen" in 1980. I have history there.

The other special event in Paso Robles that we frequently attended was the California Mid-State Fair. The best part of that was the cinnamon rolls.

I went through my scrapbooks and found a bunch of pictures of me and my cousins at the Pioneer Day festivities over the years. I know that most of you reading really probably don't care about a bunch of pictures of me as a little kid, but my grandmother will appreciate this.

1982
A costume that one of my aunts wore in the Pioneer Day parade as a child
My cousin Brian with a character in the parade
My cousin Brian and I admiring the animals

1985
My great-grandmother and I enjoying the parade
Me accepting a balloon from a parade character

1986
McGruff the Crime Dog (take a bite out of crime), me, and my Aunt Lori (nice hair!)
My great-grandmother ("Bobbo"), a lifetime resident of Paso Robles, enjoying her 55th Pioneer Day

1987
My cousins (back: Brian-Brenda-Me, front: April-Melissa) and I at the parade

1988
My sister's first and last Pioneer Day, and my last. We dressed up in matching western outfits (western was a theme at the parade)
Some reporter (or photographer) thought we were just so cute in our matching outfits that they snapped our picture and it was in the paper the next day. Note the incorrect spelling of my first name.
This was Bobbo's last Pioneer Day before she passed the following March. There were a few articles in the paper about her that year. This was her 57th Pioneer Day. She was an original member of the Pioneer Day founding committee. She had been Queen in 1980, and in 1983 she was crowned "Roblan of the Year."
Here is what she said about why Pioneer Day got started (and she was there...she should know): "I love Pioneer Day; it's a part of my life. Don't ever charge for it. It was started in the Depression days, and [the] idea was to honor the farm and ranch people -- the people from the country. ... The secret is getting people to work because they like to do it. It's a volunteer labor of love."


1987
These (strangely) are the only photos I could find of the mid-state fair. Someday I'll go again. Someday.
Don't ask, because I have no idea.
What do YOU wish for today?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love those photos!!! That is awesome. I wish for a thankful heart.

Kellie said...

I love looking at pictures of you when you were little! So cute!

Mary said...

You had blond hair?!! Crazy. I loved the pictures! Sorry I never told you about the hotel sale, I don't know why I didn't. It's so unlike me! Anyway, I'll let you know when another one comes. I never found the Dillards, because we never went! (I'm sure we'd find it if we actually went). Matt's mom is sending out a bunch of Luke's Christmas presents with his brother this week so she told us to wait till we buy him some winter clothes, but I will let you know if they have some girl ones when/if I go!

JerieH said...

Today I wish that I could live in one place long enough to have traditions like that.