Today I think I'll highlight my reading websites. Places to find book reviews or good books to read.
First we have 5 Minutes For Books. This is part of the "5 Minutes" community that includes 5 Minutes for Mom, 5 Minutes for Parenting, 5 Minutes for Going Green, and 5 Minutes for Special Needs. It is a collaborative website with book reviews, suggestions, and themes. There are also posts about reading in general. I'm still pretty new with this site, so I'm not super-familiar with it yet, but anything for book ideas, right?
Next up is GoodReads. Many of you are already familiar with GoodReads. It is a social networking site (like MySpace or Facebook) that is for book-lovers. You can add friends, see their books, and read their reviews. You can create your own bookshelf with books you've read, books you are reading, books you want to read, and any specific categories you want. You can rate books, review them, comment on other people's reviews. Let me know if you ever get around to reading everything on your "to read" list.
Third and last is the Book Nook Club. I am also not very familiar with this one yet either, but it seems okay. Also a collaborative website, it's somewhat of a book group. They choose a book for the month, read it, and then discuss it via comments on the blog. There are also book reviews.
I'm currently in the middle of reading Emma by Jane Austen. This is the first book by her that I've ever attempted, and I did so because I was inspired after watching The Jane Austen Book Club. However, I find myself increasing annoyed with Mr. Woodhouse. So far, his character seems relatively pointless and mostly just in the way. I also have a hard time with Austen's flowery 18th century prose, and the way she writes a lot of her dialogue. To the Jane Austen fans out there: Are all of her books equally odd?
What are you reading right now?
5 comments:
I have been reading "Emma" on and off for about 10 months now! I am having a very hard time getting through it. I can't stand the pages and pages and pages of dialouge that have relatively NOTHING to do with the story. I watched the movie on TV the other night, so now that I know what happens, I might not finish it.
That being said, I absolutely LOVED "Pride and Prejudice!" It's probably one of my FAVORITE books of all time.
So who knows? Maybe you would like a different Austen book.
I am a huge Jane Austin Fan. I first read Pride and Prejudice in junior high then Emma as a freshman in high school. I have neverhad a problem reading those two, but I hated reading Sense and Sensibility and Nothanger Abby and found them extremely difficult to get through. Mansfiled Park is good as well as Persuasion. Over all my favorite is Pride and Prejudice!
P&P is my favorite of hers, I laugh the whole way through it. But I really liked Emma after I got into it a few chapters. Mr. Woodhouse is important to understand some of Emma's motivations in the story, so he's not a waste. He is an odd duck, though.
I haven't read Emma, but I love Pride & Prejudice! One of my favorite classics is Jane Eyre, but I think that is by Charlotte Bronte (?) Anyhow, I recently finished Breaking Dawn, the 4th book in the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. I really liked them. More recently, as in just a few days ago, I finished The Host by the same author. I loved it! I think it rivals the Twilight series. I didn't think I would like it since I thought it would be too sci-fi for me, but it proved me wrong! I love to read, but I find myself staying up way too late or trying to read during the day instead of paying attention to my kids and the house!
I need to check your blog more regularly, you are a posting fool :)
I'm reading John Adams (still!) and a book for our book club. It is a YA book called Mandy by Julie Andrews (yes, THE Julie Andrews) It is a sweet book that I had read when I was a little girl!
BTW, their is a book store by my house, called Loganberry books that has a Jane Austen Book club. It is just like the book/movie Jane Austen Book Club :)
Post a Comment