Monday, September 8, 2008

Mundane Monday

It's been an interesting week for me, to say the least. Where to start, where to start?

Okay, last weekend I was completely and utterly exhausted. I couldn't sleep enough. Plus I felt weak and achey. I was a little bit nauseous for a day, and even had a few moments here and there of dizziness. All this added up to frustration, which led to moodiness and "being hormonal." When I went grocery shopping this week, I bought bananas. Just because I felt like it when I saw them. I hate bananas. I've never liked bananas as long as I can remember. But I've been eating them this week. You know where all this leads. The last time I can remember being as tired as I was last Saturday was the weekend I found out I was pregnant with Julie. Figuring out the timing however, I waited until this weekend (Saturday) to take a test. It was negative. Whew! I'm terribly relieved. I am so not ready to be pregnant again. But I don't have to worry about it yet.

I got lost three times in a 24 hour period this week. Two of those times were on my way home. I wasn't in unfamiliar territory, either. I was not paying attention the first time (I was talking to Ben), and the second time I just completely missed my street altogether.

I also realized this week that I am 27 years old. The reason I mention this is because I thought I was 28. For months I've thought I was 28 years old. I've been telling people for months that I'm 28 years old (when they ask...not just randomly blurting it out). But no, I'm only 27 years old. But just like that, I gained an extra year of my life back.

I typed up a small collection of recipes from a church cooking group and emailed it to our group listserv, and someone responded to inform me of a typo in one of the recipes. I had meant to type "Mix together first four ingredient and add enough mayo to that it all binds together" but instead of the word "add" I accidentally typed "ass." My spellchecker didn't catch it because technically "ass" is a correctly spelled word. It just wasn't the one I was looking for. That turned out to just be par for the course for me this week. (Sorry Jen, and sorry to anyone who may have been offended by it...please just laugh it off if you haven't already).

Early in the week, some friends of ours called to see if we wanted to come over for dinner on Saturday night. I told her that Ben would be out of town (more on that later). She pressed and asked if I wanted to come anyway. Sure! So I went to her house on Saturday with Julie, and there was another family there that we have also recently become friends with. First we had a fabulous meal, then we variously fed our babies (Julie was born on April 22, and the other families have baby girls born on May 20 and May 22, so we have our hands full) and I laid Julie to bed in a pack-and-play. After things calmed down a little bit, we sat around and played an interesting card game. I'd never heard of it before, but it was fun. At the end of the evening (I left at 10:45), we decided we need to get together for a monthly game night. I haven't stayed out that late in months while I've had Julie with me. I think the best part of the evening to me was (1) that I felt completely comfortable, even though I was Ben-less with two other couples; and (2) that it really felt like we'd started to form a good friendship. In the year that Ben and I have been in Shaker Heights, we've kind-of felt like loners. Sure, there are a ton of people at church that are our age, but there are also a lot of cliques. This isn't necessarily a bad thing...it's just that the dental students flock together, the medical students, etc. We aren't students. We're the only ones of our move-in group that aren't. So we didn't have a niche that we automatically fit into. I think we may have found one, though. That makes me happy.

Ben was out of town this weekend at a Boy Scout campout. The troop he works with meets during the school year, so this was the big kick-off event of the year. He biked and rafted and I'm sure had a great time of it. All last year, he'd be gone about once a month for a campout, just one night. This time he was gone two nights in a row. Earlier this summer, he was gone for one night at scout camp, so this wasn't my first time without him overnight since Julie was born, but it was my longest. And it was my first time at church alone without him. I really missed him this time. I almost didn't want him to go, just because I hadn't seen him a lot this week (different things going on), and I knew I was going to miss him a lot. And I did.

Sunday morning, I propped Julie up in the corner of the couch in the basement (she loves sitting up in the corner), while I went around the corner into the next room (the laundry) room to get a clean sweater to put on to wear to church after I got out of the shower. I was just starting to look through the laundry basket when I heard a thud, followed by a 1/2 second of silence, then a scream. When I heard the thud I knew what it was, so I was already running back into the room where I'd left Julie. Sure enough, she was on the floor. She'd toppled forward, instead of to the side, and gone head first over the edge of the couch. She's got a small goose egg, but there was no blood. It only took a couple of minutes to calm her down. No more couch sitting for her.

Oh yeah, and one of my fish died.

4 comments:

Musings of a Darlack said...

You poor thing!!! Sounds like you had one heck of a week!!! I automaticaly thought of pregnancy too when you said you were tired and getting random bananas and getting lost. I can't believe it's been over a year since you were last here!

montanawildflower said...

Here's to hoping you have a much better week! I'm so glad you and Ben are here and you were able to help me out on Saturday. I really appreciated it, more so for the company. You saw what my "company" usually is doing the 5 hours when he's not at work. And no worries about the "ass". I'm just not your typical "fill in the blank". :)

Kellie said...

We're really glad for your friendship, too. Next time we'll have to play a game with Ben there! And I'm sorry about Julie's goose egg and your fish. Sad day!

betsey said...

I have totally had those days when I thought I was pregnant cause I felt so out of sorts! I have even taken a pregnancy test too! And isn't it the worst feeling when babies fall? This has happened to Nora TWICE, I really hated myself afterward, but I know it happens to everyone :)