Monday, November 24, 2008

Irked

Irked is what I was after Sacrament meeting yesterday. I thought that it was a really good meeting. Every once in awhile, one comes along that is just really good. Yesterday was one such meeting, for me anyway.

Honestly, I don't remember what the youth speaker's topic was, but I do remember that I felt the Spirit. I think it was about unity. The second speaker spoke about self-worth, I think. Again, I know I felt the Spirit. then we had an interlude hymn, and the final speaker spoke about reverence.

I missed the first half of it because I had to change my baby's diaper, but when I came back in the chapel, I noticed how quiet it was. At first I thought it was because the brother who was speaking was so quiet, so everyone else had to be quiet in order to hear him. Then I started listening and I realized what his theme was. It was a really good talk, but it apparently didn't sink in with everyone. The kids in the congregation got it...they were quiet and still during the meeting.

However, there were three men I walked past on my way to the back of the chapel afterward, who were (loudly) talking about Saturday's BYU-Utah football game, and how "if we had put up the right offense, blah blah blah." I was really irked. I almost went up to them and said "I don't mean to be rude, but did you not hear Brother Rogers' talk just now?" Admittedly, I already don't particularly like two of these three brethren anyway, but I was very saddened to see that it was a case of garbage-in-garbage-out with them.

I hesitate to post this here, as many of my readers know these people, and two of my readers are in fact married to two of these people. But I had to get it out.

6 comments:

Peter, Pam, Tristan, and Kaiman said...

Thanks for the reminder! I have a bad habbit, and I'm sure others do too, of making church a social hour. I really apprecite talking with my friends, but sometimes those conversations need to be put on hold while in church:)

Janelle said...

I don't mind people being social at Church. What bothered me about this was that it was football talk inside the chapel, and it immediately followed a talk on reverence.

Peter, Pam, Tristan, and Kaiman said...

I know how you feel. When Air Force played BYU thats all you heard before and after sacrament, in halls, during sunday school and relief society. There are just some conversations that not approiate.

Lane family said...

Whoo hoo! We had sick kids, and weren't there- so it wasn't my husband! I get why you were annoyed. It's one thing when the kids are naughty!

Candice said...

So I'm not going to leave my two cents on the topic of this post, but I saw what you are currently reading over on the sidebar. One of my classmates is an original freedom writer. Pretty cool :)

JerieH said...

Kurt's Grandmother has remarked about the lack of reverence in the adults during her very infrequent visits. It is embarrassing and frustrating to me to have the Sprit lost because of the action of those who should know better. But on that note – I needed to reminded that I know better…